The prostate is a very small but important gland in men. It is responsible for producing seminal fluid which transports sperms. Cancer in this organ is what is known as prostate cancer and is also one of the most common types of cancer in men.
Some prostate cancers grow slowly and may not require any treatment. However, there are some cases where cancer spreads rapidly. If it is confined to just the prostate gland and it is still at an early stage, then the chances of a successful prostate cancer treatment increase rapidly.
Some of the top signs of prostate cancer are –
- Bone pain
- Blood in semen
- Urination issues
- Erectile dysfunction
- Discomfort in the pelvic area
- Decreased force of the urine stream
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you must visit a doctor at the earliest.
The reasons for prostate cancer are still unknown. What is known, however, is that cancer begins when the prostate cells begin mutating abnormally. This causes them to grow and divide at an abnormal rate.
The accumulation of abnormal cells creates a tumour which invades the tissues nearby. Some of the abnormal cells also spread to other parts of the body, a process known as metastasizing.
Factors which can greatly increase the chances of prostate cancer are –
- Age – the chances of prostate cancer increases significantly with advanced age
- Race – for reasons completely unknown, black men are at higher risk of prostate cancer than men of other races
- Family History – those who have a member in their family with prostate cancer are at greater risk of having cancer themselves
- Obesity – it has been observed that those who have obesity are more likely to have an advanced form of prostate cancer which is difficult to treat
Prostate cancer can be avoided by following the below-mentioned steps –
- Healthy Diet – Fatty foods must be avoided by all means. Instead, people must have a combination of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. This is because fruits and vegetables contain vitamins which help better our health
- Nutritious Foods Over Supplements – There are no studies till date which have conclusively proved that supplements help in reducing the chances of prostate cancer
- Exercise – Regular exercise is a must. It not only helps in maintaining a proper body weight but also improves our mood. Studies have also shown that exercise also helps in reducing PSA levels in our bodies
- Weight – As mentioned above, being overweight is one of the reasons for prostate cancer. Thus, if you have good bodyweight, then you should try to maintain it. If you are overweight then you can reduce it by exercising regularly and having a balanced diet
- Doctor Recommendations – Those who are at high risk of prostate cancer can talk to their doctor about seeking medicinal help to reduce the risk. Some of these medicines include 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. Such class of drugs help control enlargement of the prostate gland and hair loss in men.