Asthma is a chronic disease of the lung in which the airways of the human body become narrow and swell and also produce extra mucus. This, in turn, makes breathing difficult and often results in cough, wheeze, and shortness of breath. Asthma has four grades- at least to severe. For some patients with asthma- the problem is minimal. But for certain patients, their daily life becomes problematic due to this syndrome.
The main problem is that asthma is incurable. This syndrome changes with time and become severe with the season. There is no medicine or treatment which can cure asthma. But the symptoms can be controlled to give the patient a better life. Doctors examine the signs and symptoms and customize the treatment as per requirement.
Symptoms of Asthma
Asthma symptoms change from person to person. One patient may get asthma attacks frequently while some may experience the symptoms only when they are doing certain activities. Many patients live with the symptoms for the whole life and need to use medicines. Often pregnant women who have asthma go through a lot of difficulties. Albuterol during pregnancy is one of the safest medicines for pregnant moms with asthma. General symptoms of asthma are-
- Breath shortness and it becomes difficult to breathe normally
- In case of children and babies with asthma, a wheezing or whistle like sound comes out when they exhale
- Coughing or wheezing attacks become severe if the patients are attacked by the common flu virus
- Trouble in sleeping due to cough, wheezing or shortness of breath
- Pain or firmness in chest
- With the season the coughing or wheezing worsens
- Patients need an inhaler to get relief from attacks
Often some people experience severe asthma attacks in definite situations-
- Allergy– induced asthma: asthma attacks are triggered by some allergy-causing factors like mold, pollen, seafood, cockroach waste or pet dander. Pregnant women have higher chances of this type of asthma attacks. Albuterol inhaler pregnancy is a great medicine to counter this situation.
- Professional or occupational asthma: This type of asthma is triggered by workplace environments, like if there is any allergy-inducing chemicals which are present or gases or dust etc.
- Exercise-induced asthma: This happens when one asthma patient gets severe attacks due to any physical activity.
There is no clear cause known. Scientists are still researching to know about the factors that may cause asthma in certain patients. But it is assumed that this syndrome or disease happens due to certain environmental factors and genetic factors.
Which factors trigger asthma?
Some many factors and substances may cause asthma attacks. These factors are different for different asthma patients. Some common factors are-
- Seasonal changes like cold air
- Air pollutants and air-born substances like smoke, bad smell, pollens, dust mites, spores, waste particles, etc
- Stress, anxiety and strong emotions
- Respiratory infections like common cold or flu
- Physical activity
- Certain foods like seafood, processed foods, nuts, alcohols9beer, gin or wine)
- Certain medicines
As you can see, asthma is still incurable. But with proper medication and lifestyle, an asthma patient can live a normal life. If you have asthma always keep your inhaler handy.